Students and staff representing Baker College of Port Huron’s Culinary Institute of Michigan (CIM) have distinguished the program by earning medals at recent American Culinary Federation (ACF) competitions in Michigan and Ohio. All CIM students and staff who competed medaled.
“This is the first time that our CIM students and staff have competed in these types of ACF competitions,” said Thomas Recinella, CEC, ACE, AAC, HGT, program director and COURSES Restaurant executive chef at CIM Port Huron.
“All the categories have exacting requirements. Having everyone who competed earn a medal is truly exceptional. I congratulate each of them,” said Recinella.
Judging is determined upon a set standard. Individuals earn awards based upon adherence to the established standard and are not ranked in comparison to other competitors. The Michigan competition was in conjunction with the Michigan Restaurant Show while the Ohio competition was hosted by the ACF Columbus chapter.
CIM students who competed in the Michigan and Ohio ACF competitions are:
- Student Chef Calie Nelson, of Otisville—Michigan: silver medalist, student five cooking techniques; Ohio: gold medalist, live action cooking 60 minutes; silver medalist in static cold food
- Student Chef Bethany McKenzie, of Jeddo—Michigan: silver medalist and high student score, five-course gastronomique menu category; Ohio: gold medalist, live action cooking 60 minutes; bronze medalist, static cold food
- Student Chef Leah Andary, of Sterling Heights—Michigan: bronze medalist, student petit four; Ohio: bronze medalist, live action pastry 60 minutes
- Student Chef Kyle Grace, of Chesterfield—Ohio: silver medalist, live action cooking 60 minutes
- Student Chef Allen Sechrist, Crosswell—Ohio: bronze medalist, live action pastry 60 minutes
- Chef Nicholas Cornfield, CIM Port Huron lead culinary arts chef instructor, of Rochester—Michigan: bronze medalist, professional five-course gastronomique menu and three appetizers prepared hot displayed cold category
- Chef Scott Twichell, CIM Port Huron lead baking and pastry chef instructor, of Port Huron—Michigan: bronze medalist, professional plated desserts and chocolates category
The CIM Port Huron student chefs are pursuing degrees in either culinary arts or baking and pastry.
Photo curtesy of CIMBaker-Student winners – Baker College student chefs who medaled at recent culinary competitions are Calie Nelson, Bethany McKenzie and Leah Andary. Not pictured are Kyle Grace and Allen Sechrist