Delmar, part of Cengage Learning and a leading provider of learning solutions for ongoing career development and education, announces the March 2010 release of Modern Food Service Purchasing: Business Essentials to Procurement, a resource guide by award-winning author Robert Garlough of The Secchia Institute for Culinary Education at Grand Rapids Community College in Michigan.
Modern Food Service Purchasing (ISBN 10: 1418039640; ISBN-13: 978-1-4180-3964-6, $75.00) is designed specifically to provide culinary and purchasing professionals with current, in-depth coverage of the essential concepts of purchasing, store-room operations and financial stewardship. This resource provides practical information from experienced professionals on how to set up and manage a foodservice-storeroom operation and examines the fundamental considerations that must be taken into account when purchasing food, such as cost-control measures and mastering the storeroom; measuring and packaging for preservation, sale and distribution; and security issues with vendors, employees and customers.
“Whether buying for a small start-up business like a
Delivering a chef-focused overview of financial management and the formulas used to control a successful business, the 640 pages of Modern Food Service Purchasing explain in detail how to set up a successful storeroom operation, providing chefs and buyers with a comprehensive reference that will deliver value for years to come. Modern Food Service Purchasing includes information on the four fundamentals of contemporary foodservice purchasing:
- Market and distribution systems
- Storeroom operations
- Cost controls
- Product information
“Modern Food Service Purchasing releases at a time when inventories are being managed more critically because profit margins are tighter than ever,” said Jim Gish, senior acquisitions editor, Delmar. “This book—designed for immediate application in the workplace—is the perfect tool to help operators, chefs, food and beverage managers, and purchasing specialists contribute to a healthy bottom line.”
Additional highlights of Modern Food Service Purchasing include:
- The broadest range of product information available, consolidated and catalogued for ease of use, with extensive color photography and complete product descriptions
- Informative, real-life commentary and insights into purchasing from more than 30 foodservice professionals
- Appendices offering cost-control formulas, standard measurement conversions, volume-to-weight equivalents and other foodservice industry resources
- Extensive color photography, useful charts and forms, and a comprehensive glossary of key terms
- Instructor support materials including an Instructor Resources CD-ROM (978-1-4180-3966-0) featuring an instructor’s manual, PowerPoint® lecture slides for each core textbook chapter, image library, and a computerized test bank; and an Online Companion that provides additional course content including electronic forms for classroom activities
For more information about Modern Food Service Purchasing: Business Essentials to Procurement or to purchase the book or Instructor’s Manual, visit www.cengage.com/community/culinary.
About the Author
Robert B. Garlough, M.S., A.A.C., is chef emeritus at The Secchia Institute for Culinary Education atGrand Rapids Community College in Michigan. He is also a partner of My Chef Catering in Naperville, Ill. Garlough has received many culinary awards, including the prestigious CHRIE Chef Herman Breithaupt Award and the American Culinary Federation’s National Educator of the Year. He co-authored the best-selling culinary text, Modern Garde Manger, which received the 2007 International Association of Culinary Professionals (IACP) Cookbook Award in the Food and Beverage Reference/Technical category.