We have a wonderful, downtown located hotel for our March Deans and Directors Retreat. They are much in demand and I don’t want anyone to miss getting a room with them. The information can be found on the website here. DEADLINE IS FEBRUARY 11, 2019! Don’t let this get away from you as the holidays are coming up and long Christmas breaks will be here before you know it!
Hyatt Place + Hyatt House Charleston-Historic District
560 King Street
Charleston, SC 29403
Reservations: Call 1-800-993-4751 or use the booking link:
Theme of this year’s event is Building Your Brand. We’ll have an excellent program for you in addition to true southern hospitality!
Our annual membership drive is in full force! We’re asking you to support CAFE so that it can continue offering:
- Its free on-line magazine “The Gold Medal Classroom” published monthly
- Its free website full of resources and industry contacts
- Its ongoing efforts to design professional development programming at affordable rates for you
- Plus added benefits for members:
- Discounts at CAFE and ACF events
- Subscription to the” Journal of Culinary Education Best Practices”
We are looking to build community and help support this community with education and information.
Membership cost is $50 per year! For online membership (and you can request to be invoiced or use your credit card), click here.
Brightwater: A Center for the Study of Food: Sponsor of TWO Awards
- Green Award: Recognizes culinary programs that promote and incorporate sustainability efforts as part of their curriculum and operations. Click here for information about the Green Award
- Food Entrepreneurship Award: Identifies culinary programs that either 1) teach or encourage entrepreneurship in their programming or 2) implement revenue-generation and cost-savings into their operations. Click here for information about the Entrepreneurship Award
Idaho Potato Commission Innovation Awards
CAFE is proud to be partnering with the Idaho Potato Commission (IPC) once again as they sponsor the Innovation Awards for 2019.
This Award recognizes educators and/or programs at both the secondary and postsecondary levels who have shown to be innovative in their approaches to effective culinary arts education.
Examples of innovations can be in the areas of:
- New programs or
- New delivery methods or
- New partnerships or
- New relations with the local community
Click here for more information about the Innovations Award.
Sysco Educator of the Year Award
Thanks to Sysco for again sponsoring the Educator of the Year Award for 2019! This award is open to secondary and postsecondary educators as well as culinary educators working within the non-profit training sector. There will be two awards given.
The Committee will be looking for:
- a description of methodologies that exemplify innovative teaching techniques. Give examples.
- evidence of the educator’s professional commitment to the educational community and foodservice industry which might include school committee work, professional networking, and community involvement.
- a resume with the application.
- descriptions of ongoing professional development in both instructional and technical skills in the last few years.
- overall evidence that the educator has proven leadership in his/her profession; examples may include peer reviews, student evaluations, letters of recommendation, certificates and honors received, etc.
For more information about the Educator of the Year Awards, click here.
DATES TO REMEMBER
March 15-17, 2019
Deans and Directors Retreat, Charleston, SC
June 20-22, 2019
15th Annual CAFE Leadership Conference, Charlotte, NC