JOB TITLE: Program Director/Academic Chairperson
Culinary Arts and Hospitality Center (Downtown Riverhead)
Announcement is hereby made for a full-time (12-month) Program Director/Academic Chairperson position beginning immediately in the Culinary Arts and Hospitality Center in Riverhead. Suffolk County Community College is an open admissions institution committed to serving a diverse student population in a variety of degree and career programs.
This is a Guild (Unit 4) position, and, as such, the salary and benefits for this position are determined according to the salary and benefits plan for the Guild of Administrative Officers.
Suffolk is the largest community college in the State University of New York (SUNY) system, enrolling more than 22,000 students at its three campuses in Selden, Brentwood, and Riverhead, which also includes a stand-alone Culinary Arts and Hospitality Center.
The college is currently seeking a Program Director/Academic Chairperson for Culinary Arts and Hospitality to provide support and leadership to highly experienced teaching faculty and professionals in the day-to-day management and operation of the Culinary Arts and Hospitality Center, which includes a Baker’s Workshop that provides hands-on retail skills development for students.
The Director/Chair is responsible for providing academic leadership, personnel supervision, program advocacy, fiscal management, and facility oversight for the Center. Responsibilities include oversight of the academic program and course scheduling, including scheduling of the Baker’s Workshop. Additional expectations include participation in campus, college, and community events, student recruitment, and leading an external advisory committee of employers.
The Director/Chair will model and promote good instruction, lead curriculum review and development, increase the profile of the program within the community, and collaborate with other stakeholders to complete administrative processes related to planning and assessment, budgeting, and the hiring and scheduling of faculty relative to collective bargaining agreements.
The successful candidate will be able to align day-to-day operations within a strategic vision for student recruitment, outstanding training, and program development, including strengthening the model retail bakery and business and community partnerships. Candidates should have demonstrated experience building a spirit of teamwork among highly trained professionals, and building relationships with local restaurants and hospitality centers in the area and across Suffolk County. The Director/Chair reports to the Campus Associate Academic Dean and regularly works with the Campus Executive Dean as well.
- Providing leadership for planning, day-to-day operations, and assessment of the Culinary Arts and Hospitality Center and its academic programs, including the Baker’s Workshop; supervising all program staff, including faculty, the Coordinator and Professional Assistants; implementing menu development, cost control measures, adherence to health and safety protocols, and all marketing efforts.
- Leading outreach and recruitment efforts, in collaboration with campus, college, and community stakeholders to engage local schools, organizations, and business and community organizations promoting Culinary Arts and Hospitality Center programs.
- Exploring development of non-credit courses for professional and workforce development, and leisure and recreational activities at the Center, in collaboration with the Associate Dean of Continuing Education (CE) and additional college stakeholders.
- Monitoring all programmatic budgets, appropriately securing vendors, and overseeing program purchasing in accordance with College Procurement Guidelines.
- Ensuring assessment and program review activities are completed as well as appropriate and timely reporting of results.
- Supporting any special events and/or college-wide functions that may include the Culinary Arts and Hospitality Center and personnel.
- Coordinating and leading the Culinary Arts and Hospitality Industry Advisory Committees.
- Ensures the cleanliness and maintenance of the facility working with internal and external service providers.
- Performing other duties as assigned by the Campus Associate Dean of Academic Affairs.
- A bachelor’s degree in Culinary Arts, Hospitality or Hotel Management, business administration, or a related field with at least seven (7) years of related experience and progressive responsibility in industry that includes demonstrated entrepreneurial and managerial success.
- Teaching and administrative experience in a post-secondary academic setting.
- Demonstrates leadership and strong interpersonal communication skills. Experience identifying and cultivating relationships with external partners, including but not limited to local community groups.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and experience working with diverse populations. This position requires continuous use of independent judgment.
- A master’s degree in Culinary Arts, Hospitality or Hotel Management, business administration, or a related field.
- Related advanced professional development, higher education coursework, and recognized industry credentials.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume using the following steps to apply:
Click on the following link:
Select position #22-51 and read the description.
Click Apply Online to submit resume and cover letter.
The New York State Retirement and Social Security Law requires retirees of a public pension plan within the State or City of New York to disclose prior public employment and pension plan history for the purpose of establishing a retiree’s eligibility for employment.