This section of CAFÉ is devoted to networking industry resources with the foodservice classroom. Please contact the sponsor directly to request the item(s) that they are offering. One offer per school, please, unless otherwise indicated
- FREE: Tyson Food Service offers consumer-centric insights into attitudes and behavior that identify trends affecting all foodservice segments with its quarterly newsletter, Insights & Discovery. As part of its commitment to innovation and discovery, Tyson Food Service in collaboration with Technomic, Inc., a fact-based food industry marketing research and consulting firm, produces this quarterly newsletter, which can be downloaded at www.tysonfoodservice.com.
- FREE: Ideas @ the Heart of Value series by Tyson Food Service provides free menuing ideas and downloadable merchandising materials to help you keep the heart of your menu beating strong during these uncertain economic times. The six-volume, web-based program of newsletters and microsites will help you retain customers, show good value, and demonstrate that you understand challenges customers face. To explore each volume, and to access all of the menuing ideas, complete recipe information, menu descriptions, and downloadable merchandising materials, visit www.attheheartofvalue.net.
- FREE: You can download a printer-friendly primer for knives and their care at www.mercercutlery.com. Go to customer support and then click on “The Anatomy of Knife,” “Sharpening Your Knives,” “Knife Care,” and Frequently Asked Questions about Knives.” These are all good reference pages for your students and teaching tools for you!
- FREE: The USA Rice Federation has collaborated with The Culinary Institute of America to create a DVD on Exploring the World of U.S. Rice. An informative view of all things rice from paddy to plate, you’ll learn about the rice grown in the U.S., how to prepare and use each variety and follow top chefs as they create some of today’s hottest rice dishes. Interested in the facts of U.S. rice, including types and characteristics, how it’s grown, cooking techniques and foodservice benefits? Want to see CIA chefs prepare a variety of rice dishes that combine classic techniques with innovative, on-trend menu ideas? Be inspired with 11 new rice-based recipes. Visit http://www.menurice.com/dvd/ to request your DVD.
- FREE: The Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board has developed a new brochure: “Pairings to Please” which has a simple approach to entertaining with cheese pairings and some specific wine and beer pairing examples. You may request it by calling 1-800-383-9662 ext. 279 or send your name and address to Wisconsin “Pairings to Please” brochure, WMMB, Attn: D. Leonhardi, 8418 Excelsior Drive, Madison, WI 53717. You must mention inventory #2025.
- Free Ideas You Can Build On™ From Basic American Foods Features Chefs’ and Operators’ Menu Items with Convenience Products
Leading chefs and operators share their signature culinary creations using convenience products in “From Their Kitchen to Yours,” the latest Ideas You Can Build On™ Trend Bulletin 17, free from Basic American Foods.
This four-color issue features a new case-study format – with operator tips, serving suggestions and original recipes developed by: Jonathan Bennett, chef/partner, Moxie and RED restaurants; Donette Beattie, vice president of purchasing and product development, Country Kitchen International; Diane Hardy, director of food and auxiliary services, and Cindy Stearns, assistant director, marketing and special programs, both of the University of Richmond; and Julaine Keihn, director of campus dining services, and Chef Eric Cartwright, from the University of Missouri at Columbus. Featured recipes include Baja Pizza, Spicy Bean Wraps, Buffalo Hashbrowns and potato Haystacks. Additional recipes are available on Basic American Foods’ expansive culinary Web site at www.baf.com.
Basic American Foods is known for its family of convenient, great-tasting products that include: Nature’s Own® Potato Pearls® Premium Mashed Potatoes; Golden Grill Russet™ Premium Hashbrown Potatoes; Potato Pearls®, Golden Grill®, Redi-Shred®, and Classic Casserole® potatoes; Quick-Start® Chili; and Santiago® Refried Beans.
For a free copy of “From Their Kitchen to Yours” (Bulletin #17 in the Ideas You Can Build On™ series) and for past issues – or for ideas to build your menu with Basic American Foods products – call (800) 722-2084, or visit Ideas You Can Build On™ at www.baf.com.
- Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute Celebrates Crab Season with New Foodservice Promotional Materials
This fall, the Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute (ASMI) presents “The Great State of Crab” and “Grab a Fork. There’s a lot more out there.” merchandising materials. Posters, menu sheets and trade education brochures are included in this promotional package, which is intended to help operators capitalize on the popularity and current seasonal availability of Alaska crab. Each “Great State” piece is designed to entice customers to order wild Alaska crab that comes from the place of massive glaciers, untamed wilderness and vast icy seas. The “Grab a Fork.” messaging communicates that the carefully managed, sustainable fisheries of Alaska provide crab of the highest quality. Indeed, Alaska is The Great State of Crab.
More than half of the seafood harvested in the United States is from Alaska, where tight regulations ensure the sustained abundance of this prized natural resource. Consumer awareness of sustainable fisheries is higher than ever and they are expressing a preference for seafood from Alaska. Recent consumer research indicates that 86% of patrons polled chose “Alaska King Crab” over regular King crab on menus. ASMI’s newest foodservice promotional materials help operators take advantage of consumers’ preference for wild seafood.
Alaska King, Snow and Dungeness crab are harvested throughout the year, providing foodservice operators with these delicious varieties year-round.
Alaska is the pioneer of sustainability. Since acceptance into the Union in 1959, Alaska has been the only state in the nation whose constitution mandates that “Fish…be utilized, developed and maintained on the sustained yield principle.” This long-term dedication to sustainability has resulted in keeping the world stocked with a continuous, ever-replenishing supply of wild seafood. Indeed, Alaska's effective and precise fisheries-management practices are considered a model for the world.
To order the “Great State of Crab” poster (Part #7-009), “Great State of Crab” menu sheet (Part #7-012) and/or the “Grab a Fork” poster (Part #7-015), visit www.AlaskaSeafood.org.
- FREE: Get the inside scoop to learn all about Fresh Hass Avocados from the Hass Avocado Board (HAB). The easy-to-use CD-ROM can be used to supplement classroom lectures or used as a self-directed teaching tool. The CD-ROM will take students into the grove to learn about the cultivation process and understand the benefits of the various vitamins and minerals found in a fresh avocado. Educators will be able to help students explore the wonders of the versatile Fresh Hass Avocado as a culinary ingredient in contemporary and global cuisines, as well as a component in a healthful diet. The lesson plans open new thinking behind menu planning as students learn how to cook Fresh Hass Avocados using broiling, frying, and baking procedures, and learn how to maximize the yield of Fresh Hass Avocados. The HAB Culinary Instruction Kit is free to instructors. To order, just contact HAB at 1-800-370-3782.
- FREE from the California Avocado Commission: a Culinary Companion CD provides what every chef and chef educator craves—innovative menu ideas. In fact, CAC’s Culinary Companion is stocked with scores of fresh avocado recipes in every menu category, along with Web- and print-ready photos. At a click, chefs can access guides for specifying, handling and storing fresh California Avocados, or link to www.avocado.org/foodservice, CAC’s comprehensive Web site. Free of charge to interested operators and educators, order your California Avocado Culinary Companion CD at www.avocado.org/foodservice,, or contact the California Avocado Commission Foodservice Hotline at 800-370-3782.
- FREE: The Citrus Flavor Wheel from Sunkist Growers, Inc. peels away the mystery in identifying the various citrus taste and scent. Take a spin while Sunkist reveals the subtle flavors and aromas of 15 citrus varieties from lemons to limes and oranges to tangerines; including 12 seasonal specialty citrus such as Oroblancos or Minneola Tangelos. This 6.5” wheel is a handy tool to assist culinary educators in teaching students the proper way to analyze and define flavors and scents, and to recognize a Satsuma Mandarin over a Royal Mandarin and appreciate the delicate differences. For a free copy of the Sunkist Citrus Flavor Wheel, call 818/986-4800, or check out the online flavor wheel at http://foodservice.sunkist.com.
- FREE: Produced by Unilever Foodsolutions and in collaboration with the Culinary Institute of America, the first volume of the World Culinary Arts DVD series, “Savoring the Best of World Flavors,” showcases the authentic cuisines of Spain, Thailand, India and Mexico. For your free copy, please call 1-800-272-1217.
- FREE: The Florida Department of Agriculture’s Bureau of Seafood and Aquaculture Marketing has published an industry training fish and seafood handling guide titled “Maintaining Seafood Quality.” The guide will help you keep seafood at its highest quality and will address how seafood spoils, quality evaluations and storage. It is also available in a VHS video. For a free copy please call (850) 488-0163 or visit http://www.fl-seafood.com/industry/fapc_retail.htm.
- FREE: Finfish and Shellfish Industry Posters from the Florida Department of Agriculture’s Bureau of Seafood and Aquaculture Marketing. Two full-color 22” x 35” posters featuring Florida fish and shellfish illustrations, preparation tips, substitute species, appearance and handling information. To order your posters please call (850) 488-0163 or visit http://www.fl-seafood.com/industry/fapc_retail.htm
- FREE: How to Keep Florida Clams Fresh Poster from the Florida Department of Agriculture’s Bureau of Seafood and Aquaculture Marketing. To receive your 16" x 20" full-color poster on storage and handling guidelines for retail/foodservice staff call (850) 488-0163 or visit http://www.fl-seafood.com/industry/fapc_retail.htm
- Prosciutto di Parma® Kit is Free to Culinary Educators. A free kit for chef educators is now available from the Consorzio del Prosciutto di Parma. The kit includes a 6-minute video featuring Chef Lidia Bastianich, who shows students how to purchase, handle, store and menu Prosciutto di Parma® and takes them on a virtual tour of Parma to learn how the world's most famous ham is produced.
Chef educators will also find in the kit:
- An overview of the video highlighting key points and a "discussion guide" that can be used as a lecture outline or as a knowledge assessment tool.
- Samples of student handouts: "Prosciutto di Parma® Handling Guidelines", an information leaflet, a set of chef recipe cards and a recipe leaflet.
- An order form for free additional videos (VHS or DVD format) and student handouts.
- FREE: Fishery Products International (FPI) has developed a 4-page guide to show students and foodservice operators how to bring the Southwestern culinary trend of fish tacos to a restaurant menu. Penned by corporate chef and director of culinary, Brian Halloran, the brochure reviews culinary considerations such as fish/seafood selection, tortilla choices and side dish options as well as preparation guidelines and recipe suggestions. For copies of FPI's booklet, Fish Tacos Go Mainstream, call FPI at 1-888-820-0900
- FREE: The United States Potato Board has a new recipe collection featuring America’s favorite vegetable. Created by the United States Potato Board (USPB), this foodservice resource showcases how potatoes – which are packed with nutrients such as vitamin C, potassium and fiber, and are fat-free – can enhance the nutritional profile of your menu in delicious recipes such as Curried Stuffed Potatoes and Roasted Potato Salad with Ancho Cumin Vinaigrette. To receive your copy of The Healthy Potato brochure, or for additional healthful and delicious potato ideas, please visit www.healthypotato.com or write to: United States Potato Board 1050 Battery Street San Francisco, CA 94111
- FREE: The United States Potato Board offers perfect potato preparation tip sheets and many more ideas, resources, and recipes on its website, http://www.potatogoodness.com/just-for-you/food-developers/support-materials/
- FREE: Smuckers Platescapers has produced a wonderful "How-To Guide" for teachers to use in their classroom demonstrations on plate decorating. Click here to download your guide. This guide was used during the summer at the CAFÉ workshops and everyone had a great time working with the product.
- FREE: The California Vegetable Specialties (CVS) is pleased to offer culinary educators a complimentary endive (pronounced “on-deev”) teaching kit. The kit consists of an 8 minute production video, Set of 8 – 10 roots in varying stages of the three week forcing period, one 6 pound box of red and white endives (for use in demo), and company brochures for your students. If interested, contact Rich Collins via the Endive World website at www.endive.com
- FREE: The National Turkey Federation (NTF) has made available three lesson plan modules for culinary educators at www.eatturkey.com. They were developed in conjunction with the American Culinary Federation (ACF); the lesson plans are designed to enhance existing culinary curricula in both secondary and post-secondary settings. The curricula, which cover international cuisine, fabrication and nutrition, include turkey as a teaching tool.
- FREE: There is an excellent publication that you can get for free that might be of interest to you and your students. I love it and use it to teach my hospitality sales class at Purdue. The publication is called Restaurant Marketing. Simply call 1-800-247-3881 to start getting your free subscription.
- FREE: Those who would like an easy-to-read chart that compares the saturated fat, cholesterol and calories of lobster with other proteins can contact the Maine Lobster Promotion Council, visit www.mainelobsterpromo.com/clip_art.html or call 207-947-2966.
- FREE: The National Turkey Federation's ultimate guide to turkey, an online foodservice reference manual. Sections include purchasing turkey, products and parts, storage and thawing, preparation, serving and presentation, promoting turkey, safe food handling and nutrition. Go to www.eatturkey.com/foodsrv/manual/fsmanual.html.
- FREE: Sample of "Pro-Success" magazine from the Federation of Dining Room Professionals. This publication is part of membership in this organization devoted to raising the standards for dining room professionals. Free personalization of textbooks when ordered by mentioning the CAFÉ web site. Contact www.FDRP.com for your sample magazine and more information.
- FREE: Get free professional development courses by visiting the Culinary Institute of America’s site (www.ciaprochef.com) and link to their free on-line course. Topics vary. Prominent chefs develop recipes and techniques that they share with the students. Registration is required.
- FREE: PowerPoint presentation on “Soy and Health.” Go to http://www.talksoy.com/Health/presentations.htm. Topics include: health benefits and more.
- FREE: Print brochures. 2002 Soyfoods Guide contains consumer recipes, usage tips on soy ingredients and health updates. Single copies may be ordered from the Soy Information Clearinghouse online at www.soybean.org (you can either download a pdf file or request that they mail a printed copy to you. For bulk you need to call them at 1-800-TALKSOY.