The annual CAFÉ/Kendall College Green Award is the first national award to recognize secondary and postsecondary culinary-arts, baking/pastry and hospitality-management programs for their commitment to sustainability through the innovative ways in which they teach sustainability.
All secondary and postsecondary culinary arts and baking/pastry programs in the United States, whether diploma or degree granting are eligible
The objective of the award is to build the body of sustainability resources in foodservice education. Selection criteria are based on the following:
- Innovative ways that sustainability is taught in your program
- How transferable your sustainability education is to other programs
- Assessment based results of the sustainability education
Please note that the award is not based on sustainable improvements to facilities, etc. unless this is part of the sustainability teaching techniques, modules, or curriculum.
Past winners include:
- 2009 Johnson & Wales University, Charlotte Campus (re-cycling program)
- 2010 Technology Center of DuPage, Addison, Ill. (aquaculture program)
- 2011 Colorado State University (dining room program)
- 2012 Seattle Culinary Academy (partnership with farmers)
- 2013 Cascade Culinary Institute (Oregon) (certificate program)and Metro Tech High School (Arizona) (ecotech projects)
- 2014 Miami Culinary Institute (food and energy technologies)
- 2015 Kent Career Technical Center in Grand Rapids, Mich.
- 2016 Santa Rosa Jr. College, Calif. (farm-to-table immersion program)
Applicants for this Award are asked to describe their efforts and results in integrating sustainability/greening methods into their culinary/baking/pastry curricula. Supporting exhibits are important.
502 Chester Ave
Annapolis, MD 21403
Deadline is April 1, 2016. Winner will be notified by May 1, 2016.
Please choose either email or mailing of the application NOT some of the application in two different delivery methods.
This Award will consist of a $1,000 cash prize (to the program or individual) in addition to a complimentary registration to the CAFÉ Leadership Conference, June 22 in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.
Award winner will be responsible for his/her own travel and hotel expenses. There will be a 1099 issued to the winner for tax purposes by Kendall College.
A representative from the winning program is asked to be at the CAFÉ conference in order to receive the Award as well as possibly lead a roundtable discussion at one of the luncheons on the winning topic which has been recognized as a role model for other programs.
Leave a comment
Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.